Monday, June 11, 2012

Tunisian Crochet

Hi Everyone!

Recently I purchased a TON of crochet hooks from a thrift store--and when I say "a ton"  I mean, like, over 100.  Yeah.  A ton.

Among these many lovely hooks were several Tunisian hooks.  At that point I'd only learned 1 stitch in Tunisian crochet: the basic Tunisian stitch.  As I suddenly had numerous Tunisian hooks, I thought I would try to learn a few more stitches.  A friend of mine had mentioned to me before that I should try out the Honeycomb stitch, so I looked up a quick tutorial and tried it out.  Let me just say, I LOVE that stitch!  It is SO much fun and looks so very cool. 
Interestingly enough, the hooks also came with this really old (but very awesome) booklet on how to do different Tunisian stitches to make a "sampler Afghan"-- 
--As a side note, I've always wondered if anyone actually finishes sampler afghans.  I always get distracted because one of the samples ends up being something I really like crocheting, and then I don't want to bother with the rest of the samples.  Another great example of my lack of patience when it comes to blankets.   

Anyway, I had no idea that Tunisian stitches could really look so much like knit stitches!  It is completely amazing!  There is this one stitch, (that is very un-creatively known as the "knit stitch") that looks EXACTLY like knitting!  And it is so easy!  And so fast!  And really, really fun! 
Oh, and I can do eyelets now, too!  Could it be any more awesome?! 

So now I have yet another obsession.  It is very, very nice to be able to fake knitting--now I don't have to continue being jealous of those beautiful knit stitches.  This is a very. happy. day. 
I'd like to do some tutorials sometime-soon on Tunisian stitches, so you can be expecting those. 
And I've a feeling that Tunisian patterns will be popping up pretty soon as well. 


Have a spectacular day!  (I am starting to run out of ways to tell you guys to have a great day!)

2 comments:

  1. Woo for Tunisian crochet and learning new techniques! As for sampler afghans...I never finish them either, so I suppose you aren't alone in that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! ;)
      I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! Of course, I've actually never had the patience to finish a full sized afghan at all.. :)

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Have something to say? Leave me a comment- I love hearing from you!